According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to reach out to Brooks Heating and Air Conditioning in Bossier City about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the experts at Brooks Heating and Air Conditioning. A yearly inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Checking your system regularly and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clean.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and change them when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Bossier City home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Brooks Heating and Air Conditioning at 800-COOLING or arrange an appointment online.