Spring is in the air here in Bossier City and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Brooks Heating and Air Conditioning team has some helpful advice that will help keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home appear as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to sync up with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you make it home to post photos of your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as excited about the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to save some energy while you’re out of town is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Brooks Heating and Air Conditioning in Bossier City a call at 800-COOLING.