Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Bossier City, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The professionals at Brooks Heating and Air Conditioning can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Brooks Heating and Air Conditioning in Bossier City a call to begin. You can reach us at 800-COOLING or arrange an appointment with us online.